Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Day 5 of 31: Taylor at the Rise

By now, most of you know that Taylor is attending the Rise School.  This is a school that has 50% typical kids and 50% kids with special needs.  Madi is not attending there yet, as she needs to be 12 months before she can go.  They have a standard school year calendar so she won't be able to go there until next fall.

Even though Madi is not there, we sent Taylor there for a couple of reasons.

First, I think it is good for her to be around other kids like her sister.  Taylor doesn't realize or even understand that Madi has Down syndrome right now, but as she is getting older, she will start to realize that something is different.

Second, I wanted Taylor to learn some leadership skills.  She is a "follower" child......when she is with other kids, regardless of their age, she follows them around and does what they do.  She doesn't initiate activities and unfortunately, if they are doing something naughty, she will follow right along.

Third, I want Taylor to learn to be a compassionate and patient person.



Well, we are starting to see some of the benefits of sending her there!

Taylor has become good friends with "K", a little girl with special needs.  At the end of the day, they always go outside to play.  On most days that I pick her up, she is pushing "K"on the swing.  People, you don't understand how HUGE this is......Taylor is OBSESSED with swings!  She can swing for an hour straight and she is ALWAYS wanting to swing!  The fact that SHE is pushing "K" and not swinging herself is monumental!

I have been told that Taylor will take "K" by the hand and lead her to activities or go and get a toy for her.  She is very sweet with her!

"K" is unable to speak with her mouth but she does have a few signs.  Well, the other day, Taylor was in the car doing the "play" sign while she was talking about playing with "K".  (I never taught Taylor sign language, she is starting to pick it up as I am teaching it to Madi)  I love that Taylor is patient with her and the fact that she doesn't speak.   I was nervous the first time I saw the 2 of them interacting.  I didn't want Taylor to get frustrated with her and then to act out.  But, she doesn't.  Like I said, she is very sweet with her.

The whole thing makes me beam with joy!!!  I am so proud of her ~ for befriending this little girl and helping her out the way she does.  It solidifies our decision to send Taylor to this school.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

So proud of Taylor ! Love the pics. Will you send them to me as I cannot copy from here anymore because they are copryrighted. See you in a little bit !.

Love,
Mom

Kacey Bode said...

That is so awesome!! Sounds like a really neat school...I would have loved for my son to go to a school like that!

lovemy3 said...

That is great! Your daughters are beautiful!