Thursday, October 27, 2011

Day 27 of 31: Sick girlie

Taylor has had 6 straight days of fever and sickness.  Last Saturday morning the snotty nose and cough slowly began.  By afternoon, the cough sounded more like a bark.  I didn't think too much about it, though, I just knew that I had a sick little girl.

Sunday morning, the cough was still there.  Her breathing was a little ragged.  Again, I still didn't think too much about it.  I knew that a "barky cough" was a sign of Croup but we have never experienced it before.  And to be honest with you, I thought Croup was a young baby thing.  Not something that a 3 year old could have.

I called the pediatricians office to see if maybe I should go into Urgent Care, since it was a Sunday.  He said he would come into the office and meet me at 11.  But, he had one question.  How's her breathing?  Is she struggling at all?  I said, well, yes, a little bit.  He immediately told me we needed to take her to the E.R.......it couldn't wait until 11am.

Okay, now I am freaking out a little.  And I feel like the world's. worst. mother!!!  How did I not know how serious it was?  And here I was that morning, debating whether she would be able to go to a friend's birthday party or not.

So.....we went to the ER.  They gave her a steroid treatment and off we went back home.  Her "barky" cough has gone away and now has been replaced with a wet, horrible cough.  You know, one of those kinds that the moment you lay down, you cough over and over and can't stop.  

The frustrating thing is that her fever is just not going away.  Finally today it is a little lower......around 100.    For 5 days, though, it was around 102.  I took her back to the doctor on day 4 because I thought fever's were supposed to go away after 3 days.

They tested her for strep and the flu.  Both negative.  Took her blood work.....thinking that maybe she is starting to get pneumonia or some other bacterial infection.  Blood work all good.  I guess we just got ourselves a very nasty viral infection that is taking it's sweet ole' time going away.

I feel so bad for her.  Her eyes have this gray look, not her usual sparkly blue.  And she is so lethargic.  I am not a parent that uses the t.v. as a babysitter.....but these last few days, she has watched more movies than I can count.  Anytime I have tried to get her to play, she does for a few minutes but then gets very tired and almost bored.  And she is so cranky and winey.

I am hoping that she is feeling better tomorrow morning, as her school is having it's Halloween party.  She would be so upset if she had to miss it.  :(

1 comment:

lovemy3 said...

There is nothing worse than a sick child! As a mom, it is so hard not being able to fix everything! Hope she is feeling better!