Monday, October 3, 2011

Day 3 of 31: Breast Cancer Walk

This post is going to have nothing to do with Down syndrome......but, it is another aspect of my life that is very near and dear to me.

As everyone already knows, October is also Breast Cancer Awareness month.  Many of you are new to my blog, so you don't know that almost 3 years ago I went through my breast cancer journey.  I was diagnosed in December 2008, when Taylor was only 3 months old.  I will spare you all the details about my journey, as I plan on writing about it when I am closer to my cancerversary.

Yesterday, I participated in the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer walk!  A couple of years ago, we formed a big team called Karrie's Krew......it was a great time!  But, now I feel I need to gather my support for the Down syndrome Walk instead.

The last 2 years I have walked with my mom and my good friend, Nancie.


And, you know, it is just a really good fit!  These two ladies are very important people in my life and there is such a comfortableness there that I can't imagine spending this day with anyone else.



The walk is always such an amazing event!!!  The amount of support people give is just awesome!  (Now, if we could get some of this support over to the Down syndrome walk!!)  This year seemed crazier than ever with the amount of people.  I never did hear what the final numbers were but I think it was somewhere around 35,000 people!  Wow!!


What's better than some muscular, hot firemen in pink shirts!!!



These last 2 pictures is my favorite part of the walk.....the route loops around and you really get a sense of the amount of people that are participating!  And, if you are looking down from above......it forms a pink ribbon!

After the walk this year, we did something a little different.  Instead of walking around to the various vendors, we walked over the Four Seasons hotel and had bloody's and brunch!  And, it was GREAT!  We sat and reflected on the day that I was diagnosed.  The feelings.  The emotions.  My thoughts.  And, you know, there is a real similarity with the day I was diagnosed and the day I found out Madi has Down syndrome.  Shock.  Disbelief.  Loss of dreams.  Anger.  Feeling sorry for myself.  Scared of my future.  Numb.

All of these emotions that I felt when I heard the "C" word were there when I heard the 2 words "Down syndrome".  But, I have made it through the "C" word and I AM making it through the "Ds" words, too!    I really don't even think about the fact that I had cancer, just as Ds is moving further and further back in my mind, and I just enjoy and relish in Madi for who she is and her accomplishments and not what she has.

Sometimes I think that I got cancer to help prepare me for Madi's arrival.  I know it sounds kind of silly because Madi wasn't even a thought in my mind yet.  I had just had my 1st baby, Taylor.  But, cancer happened so that I could learn how to be strong.  Learn how to be an advocate.  And to learn what's REALLY important in life.   (okay, I don't think I learned the last one until Madi was born)  But, I also learned how to ask for help.  I physically wasn't capable of caring for a newborn after having a double mastectomy and going through chemo.  (I think I still need to improve on this one, too!)


Even though Taylor didn't do the walk with us, she still was dressed in spirit!!




This month is kind of an emotional month for me.  Down syndrome and Breast Cancer all in one month......whew!

5 comments:

Jules said...

Karrie,

I'm so incredibly proud of you for your advocacy for the causes that are near and dear to your heart. You're doing such an amazing job being the Voice for those things that matter. Keep it up! I really hope to be there for Madison's Mob next walk.

Love,
Jules

lovemy3 said...

It is amazing how two life events that are so incredibly different can result in similar waves of emotion. Madi is beautiful!

Anonymous said...

God bless you Karrie! and your awesome family :D you are SUCH an inspiration. When the going gets tough, the tough get going!

Melissa said...

I love this walk too, though we haven't done it in a few years. My first husbands aunt is a survivor and we walked with them.

Unknown said...

It was a fun day ! Sometimes I still can't believe you have been through all this - so proud of you - you are one strong woman !!

Love,
Mom