Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Day 18 of 31: Very Disturbing

A couple of months ago I woke up to the news story about a young woman with Ds being sexually assaulted by a stranger while she worked at the ARC Thrift store in Denver.  The man who assaulted her was never found, despite several monetary rewards that were offered.

Today, I first heard the news about 3 adults that imprisoned 4 mentally disabled person's in a basement to gain access to their Social Security checks.  One of the victims met their attackers through an online dating service.

Seriously......what is this world coming to!

I don't get this!  I know that there are sick people in the world....but preying on the ones who are least able to defend themselves or may be more easily manipulated......I just don't get it!

A statistic that I have seen states that 85% of women with disabilities will be abused multiple times in the lifetime.  85%?  WOW.....that is frightening!

That flat out makes me want to never let Madi out of my sight.  Forget the whole wanting her to live independently in the future!  I'm not letting her out into that scary screwed up world!!!

Okay......that's the irrational side of me.  I KNOW that I CAN"T do that......but that definitely is my first response.  I know that I have to try and prepare her for every possible situation and to be able to defend herself.  And I'm not just talking about Madi, this needs to be done for Taylor too.  But, how do you do that?  It seems like the morale of people these days just sinks lower and lower and how can you possibly prepare someone from this type of cruel and sick behavior?!?

I swear, sometimes I just want to take my family and run away and hide in the mountains or something and never have to worry about the sickness of society.  Again, this is the irrational side of me.

It's just that some days all the craziness of the world seems so overwhelming to me and I just want to do whatever I can to shield my girls from it.  I know that I need to be informed about the world's events and the news is the way to receive it.....but I feel better about everything when I go through a stretch that I don't open a newspaper nor turn on the t.v. for several days at a time.  How does that phrase go........Ignorance is Bliss.

There really is no warm and fuzzy way to finish up this post.....so, I will leave it at that.  I usually try to always include at least 1 picture in every post.....but this topic does not deserve the presence of a picture.  

2 comments:

lovemy3 said...

I read that statistic last week and I almost started hyperventilating. It made me want to lock her in her room for the rest of her life!

Crazy Beautiful Love said...

When I read that I cried. I can't help but to. It feeds the deep fear I have for my Eslea.
Thanks for joining the Hoppin' for 21 blog hop by the way.
-erin