Monday, March 28, 2011

Paranoid???

These days I feel like I'm paranoid.......I keep waiting for our next dilemma!  There are so many different medical things that people with Down syndrome are prone to having and I am constantly on the lookout for all of them.  Actually, I am on the lookout right now.  I kind of went through this about a month ago but seemed to move past it but now I am doing it again.  I think it's because Madi's reflux seems to be getting bad again.  Or at least I think it's her reflux.  I don't know.  And she's constipated for a couple of days but then goes a bunch the next few days.  And the way she acts when she's constipated is the same as when her reflux is bothering her.  It's so frustrating!

Madi also seems to be so sensitive.  It's my understanding that kids with Ds can have a lot of sensory issues.  I think she does.  Or at least she seems to startle very easy (the Moro reflex).  I know this is common in all new babies but she is 3 months old and should be growing out of it.  When you look up information about the Moro reflex, it says that if they still have it, it probably isn't the Moro reflex, it's infantile spasms (which, kids with Ds are prone to).  Then when you look up that, well......let's just say, don't look up that!

Thank god we have the Down syndrome clinic here with the wonderful experts.  I have another appt. with them in a few weeks and I have a long list of questions.  Madi's regular pediatrician doesn't have a whole lot of experience with kids with Ds and I feel like he just blows me off and thinks I am paranoid.  I guess this is the beginning of me having to learn to be Madi's advocate.

My thoughts are just kind of erratic this morning.  I am feeling overwhelmed.  The weather doesn't help it.  I woke up to low overcast and gloomy.  I am very much a person that is affected by the weather and this doesn't help.  I just have to keep in mind that this weekend it is supposed to be in the 70's!!  Hopefully we will be able to get outside and enjoy the fresh air!!

1 comment:

Becca said...

That's great that you have a Ds clinic there! You'll rarely find a regular pediatrician with much experience in Ds, and it's often us parents that educate the doctors in a lot of these matters! But as long as you know where your resources are, that's the most important thing. And the Mommy hat makes us all know best, anyway. :-)