Sunday, March 20, 2011

World Down syndrome Day 2011

Tomorrow is World Down syndrome Day!!



Someone else wrote on another blog that I follow........"I never knew that I wanted a child with Down syndrome until I had one."  When I first read this, it was in the beginning and I was new to this whole thing.  I remember thinking......what is that person talking about?  Are they crazy?  But, I can honestly say that I get it now.  I wouldn't change a thing about Madi.  Of course, I don't want her to have to struggle in life and I definitely don't want some of the medical challenges that seem to pop up with children with Ds.  But, I wouldn't change the fact that she has Down syndrome.  She is such a blessing in our lives and I truly believe that she is here to teach us something.  I know for me, she is going to teach me patience.  :)

This is not to say that we are not going to have our tough times.  I still have my bad days......just look back a couple of posts.  But, that doesn't change the fact that I wouldn't change Madi.  She brings such joy to my life and I feel truly connected with her.  I feel like she already knows me, inside and out.



Some people have asked how I have gotten so far with my attitude and acceptance of everything that has been given to us........my inspiration has been from another momma that has a child with Ds.  She is a photographer and she blogs about her family.  Her name and blog is Kelle Hampton.  She is such a positive person and has really been the reason I have gotten through some of my dark days.  First off, her photos are gorgeous!  At the very beginning of Madi's diagnosis, I couldn't even look at a picture of a child with Ds without being VERY upset.  But once I found her blog and starting reading it and seeing the pictures of other kiddos with Ds, I discovered just how beautiful and absolutely perfect they are.  I really don't know how I would have come this far if I hadn't come across her website.  And since then, I have fell in love with a whole bunch of other momma's kiddos with Ds from their blogs.

I chose to start this blog for several reasons.  First off.....it is very therapeutic for me.  For some reason, just writing some of my feelings down and throwing it out to the world seems to help.

Second.....I wanted a way to be able to communicate to all my friends and family about how we are doing and what's new with Madi.  I am just not physically able to call everyone to let them know what's going on.  And when I do talk to people, I might be having a good day.  I want people to know the dark days that I have too.

And third.....I want to help educate others about Down syndrome.  I knew absolutely nothing until December 28th, 2010.  I had never even really encountered anyone with Ds before.  And since then.....well, let's just say that the flood of information has been like a fire hose being sprayed at me.  I have had to learn real fast!  Yes, there are some scary medical things that these precious souls may have to face.  But, the joy and beauty they bring to your life is immense!

So, in honor of World Down syndrome Day......I hope that this blog will help just one person to have a different opinion of people with Down syndrome.

4 comments:

Casa de Croft said...

Karrie-
You already know this, but you have incredibly beautiful children. Your honesty about this journey your whole family is on with little Madison is refreshing and really does help others learn about her diagnosis. Thank you for teaching me! Many blessings to your beautiful family. I'll be following your blog from Spain!

Sharon said...

Hi, Karrie!

Your girls are absolutely beautiful!

I met Madi's grandpa and grandma at a MHDSA meeting a few weeks ago. Our granddaughter, Lily, was born Dec 2, so she and Madi are only about 3 and 1/2 weeks apart in age!

We also did not know that Lily had Ds until she was born, despite tests and numerous ultrasound images!

I must say, I admire and appreciate your healthy attitude and acceptance. These have been much more of a struggle for us.

We love our little Lily with all of our hearts. She is such a precious baby and already such a blessing in all of our lives.

If you'd like to correspond via email with my daughter, ask your mom for my email address and I'll get you two connected!

Thanks for sharing this cool blog with us!

Blessings, Sharon H.

Anonymous said...

Your girls are gorgeous and I have a particular soft spot for your little Madi...she is just adorable!! I remember 5 years ago when my little Ruby was born...we have come so far and are truly blessed. In fact I wrote my birth story not long ago on Ruby's birthday and it was such a cathartic experience to be truthful. Ruby has blessed us with so many life lessons..it has been a journey of ups and downs but we choose to grab the "ups" and fly with it!! Love to you and your precious babes...:)

Shannon Nielsen said...

You said you hope your blog helps just one person, well it's helped me! We had our son Austen 4/1/11 and he has DS & I'm online researching everything I can to help learn & prepare! He is still in the NICU @ UofU, with a surgery set for 4-6mo @ Primary Children's for Complete Atrioventricular Canal Defect, unless his complications discovered at birth have them do surgery sooner, we'll know more this week. So YES I'm a mess, and should be sleeping now, but can't, so I'm up online finding what I can & came across your blog. Just your first few entries had me crying with understanding & validation of my own feelings over this past week - thanks for taking the time!!!