Saturday, July 30, 2011

Madi, Madi, Madi

So,we went to the pulmonologist this week to find out why Madi is still needing oxygen.  We ended up heading over to the Heart Center of Children's Hospital to have an echocardiogram done on her heart.  They thought the pulmonary hypertension might have possibly come back.  Come back???  I didn't know it can but I guess it does sometimes.

Anyways......the results were good!  Everything looked the same as her last echo done in May.  Yeah!!!



No, it is not winter here but I have this stinkin' cute snowsuit from when Taylor was a baby and I just HAD to put it on Madi, too!!!!




Our next step is to do an overnight sleep study at the hospital.  It will test absolutely EVERYTHING!!  And when I say everything......I mean everything.  How much her chest moves up and down when she breathes, the placement of her tongue when she sleeps, the amount of carbon dioxide she releases, etc.  It's actually kind of amazing that they can do all that.  Not sure when we are going to do the sleep study.....just waiting on the hospital to call and schedule it.



Also this week I had a little bit of a scare with her.  When I was getting her undressed to give her a bath, I noticed one of her nipples was a darker color.  So, I felt it and immediately noticed a hard pea-sized lump.  Needless to say, I freaked!!!!  I am only 2 1/2 years out from my breast cancer diagnosis.......so, of course, I thought the worst!

And then, to top it off, I went online and googled "youngest person with breast cancer".......well, I should have known not to do that, but I did.........and the youngest documented girl was 3 years old.  I knew all about a girl from California who was 9 and had a double mastectomy.  But......3!?!?  Really?!?!



I took her to the doctor the next day and had them check it out.  They thought it could be hormone related or even possibly a lymph node.  They said to keep an eye on it and if it got bigger we would do an ultrasound.

THANKFULLY........it has gone away!!!!!  It is great that it went away because.....well, that's great that it's gone.  But, it is also good because poor Madi would have been subjected to me feeling for it a hundred times a day until we had it looked at more in depth.  I would NOT have stopped thinking about it until we had some definitive answers.

The whole thing freaks me out!  Since my diagnosis, I have often wondered "what if my girls get it from me, now?"  How am I going to screen them?  Will I allow them to take the pill when it comes that time? Should I get the BRCA test done on them?  And when?  So many things to think about.......

2 comments:

April Vernon said...

I am so glad it went away on its own & the echo results were good. It is so hard not to worry about what our children will have to endure & if we are doing enough to protect them. I think about it often.

Becca said...

Wow, glad the lump was nothing! And echos? I swear, even 5 years out from heart surgery, I still hold my breath at her cardio appointments. So glad it was good! I am willing to bet that sleep study will be very, very informative...