Wednesday, August 3, 2011

A Hard Time

I have been in somewhat of a slump lately.....there have been several things that have been rolling around in my mind.

I feel like I have come very far in coming to terms with Madi's diagnosis of Down syndrome.  I have grieved, cried, screamed, felt sorry for myself and been angry at God.......but I have moved past all those emotions.  Really, I have!!

But, lately, I have been very scared about the future.  I have had several different encounters with adults with Ds over the last couple of weeks and none of them have been good.  Usually when I see someone older with Ds, I am encouraged and inspired by how well they are doing.  I get excited for Madi's future.  Right now......I am scared to death.

I know that I have to keep in mind that times have changed.  The early intervention and inclusion in schools has made a HUGE difference in how well a person with a disability can do.  Now days, the sky is the limit!!

I try to live each day focused on only that day.  I try to not get too stressed out about the future.  Madi is doing so many great things and brings such joy to my life.......these are the things I focus on.  So, why am I focusing on these encounters that bring me fear?!?!

I don't know the answer to that........I do think that part of it is that I STILL am not getting the support from a few people in my life that I thought I would have.  Madi is 7 1/2 months old now, you would think that people would have gotten over the shock of it all.......but, I guess not.

I know that I need to move forward and focus on all the wonderful people I have met through this journey. And for the most part, I have and do.  But, when you are going through a slump, the pain and hurt from not having the support from the people you most expect it from......it makes it even worse.

Okay.....enough of the pity party!!!!

Time to focus on some AMAZING things that the sunshine in my life is doing!!!!

First off......she is getting better and better at independent sitting so we are taking it up a notch and starting to work on sitting on a "bench" in the 90/90 position!




And she can actually bear weight on her legs now!!  It hasn't been until just recently that she would even put any sort of pressure onto her legs, she would just collapse.  But, now, she is LOVING it!  While we are working on the sitting on a bench, she pushes herself up without any prompting!!!







What a big girl!!!!

Tomorrow I am off to San Antonio for the National Down syndrome Convention!!!!  I am so excited!  Can't wait to post all the new info that I learn!

I hope everyone has a great weekend!

4 comments:

April Vernon said...

I can't wait to hear about the conference! I'd love to go to one of those!

I know how those slumps feel. They don't last long, but that doesn't make the fear any less real. Hopefully the conference will be just the boost you need!

Unknown said...

Just want to say I am the father of an amazing 38-year-old woman with Down syndrome. She is very active, independent, and capable. The future is bright for our "kids" with DS! Smile and enjoy.
Joe Rinaldo

Julz said...

Hey Hon! I just want to say I think you are the strongest woman I know and having people in your life that don't accept Madi, well I just can't believe it. She is the most darling baby out there and there is nothing wrong with her, she is just super special:) For people around you to not notice that, obviously they have deeper issues in their lives. The longer I live here the more I see the real greatness in some, while the true worst in others. So just hold on to those who are great, and let the others go, they are not even worth a second of thought. Im waiting to hear of your conference, Im sure you had a lot of great times. Madi is going to become a great young woman, because she has a few of those around her...you and Taylor!

teal915 said...

Ok, now I'm jealous ; ) Kamdyn has just started standing like that recently at 15 months. Looks like Madi is doing great.