Sunday, November 27, 2011

Thanksgiving and traditions

I hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving this year!  From the looks of all the pictures and stories on the other blogs I follow......it looks like it was fabulous!

Our Thanksgiving was the lowest key it has ever been.  Mark is out of town flying (he left Tuesday, won't be back until Monday) so it was the girls, my parents and I.  We decided it is entirely way too much work to cook all that food, just for the three of us adults.  So, we went out to eat.

I haven't really decided how I feel about that decision, yet.  It was great, in the sense that there was no stress and no mess to clean up.  But, I definitely missed having a bunch of people around to celebrate.  I come from a very loud family.....everyone shouts over each other and is always trying to get the last word in.  And, you know, I LOVE THAT!!  I love the commotion, the craziness, loudness you can hear from a block away, the drama that always seems to happen.  It's what makes our family.......Our Family.



Madi is thinking, "I want to grab your hair, Taylor!"

"Oh, that flower looks much better!"

"I got it!"



It is so hard to get a good picture of the girls together these days.  One of them is always doing something silly or is distracted.  And for Madi, these last few weeks she is so congested and she can't breathe out of her nose.  So, the result is her mouth hanging open, more so than usual.



Seriously, who took my little girl and replaced her with this BIG GIRL!?!?  She looks sooooo grown up!





At least I am looking forward with this one.  We took 6 pictures of the three of us......every one of them had something funky about it.  Oh well!


We are at the beginning of my FAVORITE time of year.......Christmas!!!  I have so many memories and traditions that I loved from growing up that are around the holiday season.

When I was growing up, we lived in Montana....our tradition the weekend after Thanksgiving was to drive into the mountains and score through the thousands of trees and chop down our Christmas tree.  We would always bring leftover turkey and make sandwiches, hot chocolate and cookies.  And every year we would chop down this tree that looked to be the perfect size.....that was until we got it home.  It always was too big and my dad would have to cut off several branches on the bottom to make it fit.  It was the classic Griswold situation!

I used to love how the tree smelled up the house, with that fresh mountain pine smell!  And there was nothing like cutting down a fresh tree yourself.  Not these ones you get at the stands on the side of the road.  One year, one of our trees we had cut, actually started to grow!  Yes, it grew inside the house after we had chopped it down!  It had little new buds on the tips of the branches!  It was crazy!

Unfortunately, I will not be able to give my girls that memory this year.  But, when Mark gets home, I can. not. wait. to go and get a tree and get it set up.  We have a front entryway that has tall vaulted ceilings so every year we get a 12 foot tree to fill it up!  It is amazing!!

I look forward to hearing about everyone else's traditions this year through reading of the blogs!

No comments: