Thursday, November 3, 2011

Still in the hospital.....

We are still in the hospital with Madi.  :(

As I told you from my previous post, they want her to be off oxygen while she is awake.  Well, yesterday was a GREAT day!  She was off her oxygen and her o2 levels were around the mid-90's.  We wanted to have her stay one more night to do some room air challenges while she was sleeping.  The whole point of that was to find out how low she would go if her nasal cannula came out of her nose during the night at home.

Last night went good.  She dipped down to around the mid-80's during her room air challenge while sleeping.  That was reassuring to know that she wasn't going to drop into the 70's if I didn't notice her oxygen was off her during the night.

This morning......the down turn started again.  Took her off of oxygen, she immediately dropped to mid-80's.  We put it back on her but what started to concern us was the level she needed to be at during her nap.  She had been at 1/8 of a liter during sleeping the last day and a half but now she needed to be bumped up to 1/4 of a liter.  And when she was awake, the 1/8 of a liter was barely holding her at 90%. 

When the doctor came in, she noticed quite a bit of change in the way her lungs sounded from the day before.  And, of course, it was for the worse.  She ordered another chest x-ray to see if there had been any change.  When the results came back, she was pretty surprised.  Her lungs were significantly worse. 

Instead of the amoxycillin Madi was taking, now she is receiving strong antibiotics through an IV.  Hopefully these will take effect right away!

So, it's looking like we will be in the hospital for a few more days. 

I will try and keep everyone posted as well as I can.  I don't have a laptop with me at the hospital so I can only update when I come home to get more stuff to bring back to the hospital.

4 comments:

My Little Wonders said...

More prayers for you and Madi. I hope the new antibiotics work quickly and you are both able to go home soon.

Laura said...

We are thinking of you Madi! Please feel better soon!

Becca said...

Oh, no! So sorry to hear how sick she's been. I hope this helps and that she responds quickly. (((hugs)))

teal915 said...

I was thinking about you today and wondering how she was doing. I'll say some more prayers. I hope the IV antibiotic helps. If that kicks in right away, hopefully her O2 levels will go up too.