Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Day 9 of 31: Race for the Cure and Breast Cancer Awareness Month

Yes......I missed a couple of days already on the 31 for 21 Down syndrome awareness blog posts.....it was hard to get it in over the weekend.

But, I am back at it today and my post has nothing to do with Down syndrome......because, like I have said before, our lives do not revolve around Down syndrome.

This last Sunday, my mom and I participated in the Race for the Cure walk.  For those of you that are new to my blog or just new friends in my life.......almost 4 years ago I was diagnosed with breast cancer.   If you would like to read a little bit about my breast cancer journey, you can go here .....I wrote a post last year on my 3 year cancerversary.




This year was pretty low key with the walk.   My mom and I joined up with my really good friend and cancer buddy, Andrea and her team.


Andrea and I
Andrea and I were diagnosed just 3 months apart and have the same oncologist.  That's actually how we met!!  She has been such a good friend to me and I don't know what I would do without her in my life!!  She truly understands what I have been through with the whole cancer journey and she helps calm me down when I am having a moment of fear and panic that the cancer will return.



See these names on my Celebration sign.......we are all women who were diagnosed with breast cancer in our 30's.  We are all alive and doing fabulously, too!!!

But, this should show you that breast cancer has no age requirement!  Every one of us gals did NOT have a family history and we were in our 30's.  Don't be fooled by the "no family history" and "you're too young" thing!!

As most of you know, October is also Breast Cancer Awareness month (in addition to Down syndrome Awareness month).  I am choosing to spend the majority of my time bringing awareness to Down syndrome, as we are bombarded with the Breast Cancer awareness through all the different media sources.   But, if you do take away one thing from this month........make sure you are doing your monthly breast checks!!!!!  I would have never gotten diagnosed if it wasn't for me finding my lump!

1 comment: