Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Day 2 of 31: Step Up Walk for Down syndrome

About a week and a half ago we celebrated our 2nd time participating in the Step Up for Down syndrome Walk!  It was a gorgeous, sunny day to get together with family and friends to celebrate the one and only..........



I know I am a little biased here.....but, seriously, can she get any cuter in that picture!!! :)

This year's walk was the most successful year so far is raising money and awareness for the Mile High Down syndrome Assoc.  (MHDSA).  4200 people participated in the walk and raised $282,000 for the MHDSA!!!  Can you say AMAZING!!!

Our team this year was smaller than last year.......with me being back to work, I just didn't have the time nor energy to try and fundraise.

Even though our team was small.......we were not lacking in enthusiasm and spirit!!!!


Angela and Cooper

Nancie

Andrea, Cory, Max and Alex

Gigi


Do you need a couple more beads, Sienna?

Riding in style!

What's up, mom?

Grandpa, Gigi and Brandy

Gigi and I

I will be honest with you all about something, though........last year when we did the walk, I remember saying "Oh, Madi will walk across the finish line next year!  There is NO way she won't be walking by then.  She will be 21 months old!"

Well, Madi is definately taking steps on her own but I envisioned she would be full-on independently walking by herself.  You know, walking 20-30 feet across the finish line by herself.  So, I have to admit that the few weeks leading up to the walk, I was a mad woman trying to get Madi over the hump from taking 5-6 steps to the distance that I wanted.

And I was a little disappointed as I realized that this was not going to happen.

So, again.....I had a little lesson in patience.  And a reminder that Madi will do things when she is full on ready to do them.  It is how she has been with everything.......sitting, crawling, cruising, talking, sipping out of the straw, etc, etc, etc.....

By the time the day of the walk came, though, I was just so happy that she was healthy this year.  Last year, she had a ton of congestion and was miserable pretty much the whole day.

So, instead of walking independently across the finish line..........

..........she pushed her little baby doll stroller!!!!



Big sister......the biggest cheerleader in the world!  If everyone could have a big sister like her!








Here's a few more photos of the awesome day celebrating Madi!!!















Thanks to all those that helped make the Step Up Walk an awesome day!  And thanks to those that donated to our team!

2 comments:

Laura said...

I love your team's name! In my book she walked across the finish line standing tall and proud - next year she'll be running across!!

lovemy3 said...

What an awesome idea...we have that stroller! She is getting so big and is such a beauty!