Thursday, May 5, 2011

At my wit's end!!!

Let's just say this......I am at my wit's end!

I am at my wit's end with people that are "afraid" of us because Madi has Down syndrome!

I have been trying to push these feelings aside and give people the benefit of the doubt but I just can't do it anymore.  We have several family members and friends that have given us the cold shoulder since Madi was diagnosed with Ds.  They have not even sent a text, email or card saying "Congratulations on the birth of your daughter."  I know that this is my 2nd child so lots of people don't acknowledge it like the first one.     And I don't expect that.  But, I guess I would expect a simple Congrats email, text or something.  Instead, these people act like we have the plague.

We also have the people that have even admitted that they are "afraid" to talk to us and be around us.  Okay......what is there to be afraid of?  Down syndrome is NOT contagious.  My child does not have some major physical disfigurement that people would tend to stare and gawk at.  And you know what......even if she did, she's not a scary child.  If anything, her smile and love is infectious!  I feel so honored to be her mommy.

I have been told that maybe people are afraid to say something that might offend me.  I totally understand and get that.  But, I am not an easily offended person.  I KNOW that people are going to say some things that probably don't come across the right way.  But, I also know that these people don't mean it in the wrong way.  And they aren't intentionally trying to say something hurtful.

I have also been told that some people just don't know what to say.  Well.......there is nothing to say!  Usually the 1st response is "I'm sorry" and to be honest with you, that seemed appropriate when it was the first couple of weeks.  But now, I am not sorry.  I wouldn't change anything.  So, really, there is nothing to say.  If you feel like you need to say something,  say "I am here for you if you need anything."  But, completely ignoring us and treating us like the plague does much more damage than saying the "wrong thing".

I try and put myself in other people's shoes and think about how they are feeling.  Before I had Madi, I knew nothing about Ds and nothing about people with needs, in general.  So, yes, if I had a friend with a child suddenly diagnosed with Ds, I probably would not have known what to say.  But, I would have been there for them and listened if they ever needed to vent or cry.  And I would have let them know that I am here for them whenever they needed something.  That is what "true friends" and "family" do.  But, I guess that's what I am learning.  Who my true friends and family really are.

I thought I already went through this when I went through breast cancer.  I definitely got rid of some people in my life.  But, I guess I get to do it again.  The very unfortunate thing is that these people are going to miss out on getting to know one of the most beautiful souls in the world.  Madi is truly a blessing from God and I only wish that everyone would get to have the pleasure of knowing her.

I probably should not have posted this on my blog......but actually, the people that I am talking about, are surely NOT reading my blog.  Remember........they are "afraid"........

5 comments:

Becca said...

Oh, that's got to be so frustrating. :-( I'm sorry some of your friends and family members have disappeared like that. You've got to just chalk it up to ignorance on their part, but that doesn't make it any easier. I can only just hope that eventually they'll come around. (((hugs)))

Karrie said...

Thank you so much Becca!!! You have been such a supportive person to me and I don't even know you! Just through each other's blogs. You always seem to know the right things to say!

Thank you for being my new "true friend"!!!

Lisa said...

Karrie this is ridiculous. What is there to be afraid of? When I found out about Madi, I felt like she was a blessing and that you are a strong woman with a supportive family who will give Madi a fabulous life. The hospital next to my office employs many adults with DS and when they are working throughout the hospital I feel inspired by them. I do think people will come around eventually. If they don't, that just makes room for new ones. (-:

:) Libby said...

I know exactly how you feel. I am still going through this with people I know. Luckily we have people in our lives who are so supportive and give us more happiness and fill our hearts more than the people who are absent. They are the people missing out on these beautiful kids. I know exactly what you mean and some days it bothers you more than others. It certainly makes me feel better knowing you know how I have felt too. I'm happy that we have so much more in common. You are a great mommy! -Libby

Jules said...

Oh, honey. Reading that broke my heart. People's ignorance and fear of the unknown is so hurtful. That's why your blog is so awesome; it gives you and Madi a Voice. The Voice that is inspirational and educational at the same time. Love you!

Julia