Wednesday, March 7, 2012

End the R-word



Today is a day, where we all must unite together and pledge to end a horrible word.......the R-word.

-  "I'm so tired today, I feel so retarded."


-  "That driver must be a retard."


-  "That is so retarded."




These are all phrases I used to use on a regular basis.  That was, until I gave birth to one of the most beautiful girls in the world, that just happens to have an intellectual disability.

Now, I cringe when I hear those words.

I cringe because I know that someday, somebody is going to say those exact same words to my beautiful Madison.  And somebody will probably say those same words to Taylor to describe her sister.

I know that the majority of people don't mean anything when they say the r-word.  They don't mean any harm.  I know that I didn't when I used to say it.

But, what people don't know is that it is hurtful.  And mean.

If you are feeling the need to say the r-word to describe something......please use something different.
     "Dumb, silly, goofy", anything other than the r-word.


Before you say that hurtful, dreaded phrase, just think about this face before you do...............


2 comments:

Linda said...

Love this post!

Laura said...

Her face just melts my heart! She will stop people from using the word, I know!