Thursday, December 15, 2011

Sleep Study ~ Santa Clause Visit

This post is going to be kind of a mish-mash of topics.

On Tuesday night of this week, I went with Madi to have her sleep study done.  She did really well when they were putting on all the wires.......but, once they started wrapping her head......that's when she came completely undone!  I haven't seen her cry like that in a loooonnngg time!  She was completely hysterical, to the point of not being able to catch her breathe.  Poor baby girl!

The night was pretty restless.  Every time she rolled from her side or belly to her back, the gazillion wires and switches dug into her back.  Which then she would wake up and cry.  I spent most of the night patting and rubbing her back to calm her down.

I guess we won't get the results for a couple of weeks.  I am hoping that is just a standard response and that it will be quicker.

I apologize for the quality of these couple of photos.....they were taken on my phone.


Who can sleep with all those wires?!?!



It really is amazing, though, all the information they get during a sleep study.  You can see from the picture, the little thing hanging from her nose......that measures the amount of CO2 she emits.  She had 10 probes on her skull, 2 on each eye, 3 on her chin, and 1 on her voicebox........a total of 16 just on her head!  She then had a 4 on her back, 2 on her chest, 2 on each leg and a pulse-ox on each foot.  Wow!!! That's a lot!

I have mixed feelings about what I want the results to say.  Of course, I want nothing to be wrong with my child.  But, in a way, I want it to be bad enough that they will want to take out her tonsils.  I KNOW that they are a huge culprit of her problems.  I think that if they were taken out, she might not get sick so much.  She could breathe better.  She would have more energy.  She would sleep better.  It's not that she's not sleeping through the night.  But, her sleep isn't very restful.  She will be a year old in a couple of weeks and she really could take 3 naps a day still.  I try to push her to only take 2.

After seeing the dramatic change in Taylor after her's have been out........I am a huge supporter of taking those suckers out!  Don't get me wrong......I don't want my baby girl to have surgery.  But, if it makes her feel better, breathe better and have more energy.......I am all for it.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Last weekend, the girl's visited Santa!

They got all dressed up in their Christmas dresses......



I want a pair of these for myself!








Of course, there has to be an emotional breakdown at some point......too much excitement to see Santa but not getting her way leads to tears.

The visit with Santa went just as expected.  We had to hold Taylor back when it was other kid's turn to see Santa.  When it was finally her turn.......she ran and catapulted herself onto his lap!  She was SO EXCITED!!!  She told him all about how she wants Roller Skates from him and LOTS of presents too.

And, then we put Madi on his lap.  And to be expected.......she screamed!


She wanted NOTHING to do with him.  I must say, it makes for a great photo to laugh at in years to come!!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I adore your girls!! they are so beautiful and funny! I love their pics in their dresses, and of course, with Santa. Keep us posted on Madi's sleep results. I never knew tonsils could be the culprit of so many things.

Becca said...

Ohhhh, poor baby!! We have never done a sleep study, although I hear people telling us all the time that we need to, if for no other reason than to get a baseline if there are future issues. :-( I think my 5 1/2 year old would react very much like your almost one year old. Hope your results are good.

LOVE the Santa pic! What a fantastic Santa, knowing exactly how to pose for the pic, even with a screaming child on his lap! Perfect. :-)

Laura said...

The girls look stunning in their Christmas dresses! Thank you for sharing about the sleep study. I've always wondered what one was like. I'm sure Ben will be having one sooner than later.

Melissa said...

Claire did great with Santa last year. This year...not so much.

We still haven't done a sleep study. I know we will have to do it at some point, but I'm just not looking forward to it. Hope your results come back soon!