Monday, December 5, 2011

Christmas Lighting Festivals......gone bad.

The last couple of weeks we have gone to two different Christmas lighting festivals.  And on both nights, it was a little chilly freezing!!  It has only been a couple of years that we have lived in Colorado, but I swear, my blood has already thinned out.  We used to live in Minnesota, so I should be used to that blustery cold weather.  But, lately, I want NOTHING to do with the cold!

I must say right away......the pictures are not the best.  I am trying to figure out the new camera still.  I haven't quite figured out how to put the settings in low light situations.  Any suggestions?

The first festival to kick off Christmas was in our hometown.





Where can I find these shoes in Mama's size?!?!  Too cute!!


There was a petting zoo......and anytime there is a petting zoo......Taylor HAS to go and see the animals!!



This picture is kind of funky but I like it.



The 2nd festival was in a nearby local town.  The trees that lined the street was absolutely amazing!!!

Who doesn't love a choir singing Christmas carols!




The 2nd festival was beautiful but I have to admit that I didn't enjoy myself very much.  I was having a good time until my heart was literally split into two.

As you all know, Madi has been sick for the last couple of months.  She isn't able to breathe out of her nose, due to the congestion, so she has her mouth wide open with her tongue hanging out.  Well, that evening I was carrying Madi in front of me with a Baby Bjorn.  We accidentally bumped into a woman and she looked at me and smiled.  She then looked down at Madi and had the most disgusted, horrific face I could have seen.  She scrunched up her face as if she had just smelled something awful and then she realized what a complete jacka** she was being and tried to recover and smile.  Well......damage was done.  She broke my heart.

From that point on, I was super hypersensitive and felt like EVERYONE was staring at Madi.  The evening was officially ruined.  Everyone stood there watching the carolers, enjoying the holiday spirit, while I, stood there with tears running down my face.  The woman's reaction was exactly what I feared when I first heard the words, "your daughter has down syndrome".

I have had several things happen lately that have brought some of those initial fears about Down syndrome back into my head.  I am not sure if I am more sensitive to things as I am dealing with the emotions of Madi's 1st birthday rapidly approaching.

I am doing some reflecting on these various events......and I promise to write more about it.  I just need to get my thoughts together.  

Okay.....enough with being a downer.  Despite the heart-breaking reaction I experienced, both of the lighting festivals were beautiful!  As I have mentioned before........I LOVE CHRISTMAS!!!  And they definately got me in the holiday spirit!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Karrie, I'm so sorry, that just boggles my mind about some people! you dont need me to reiterate to you what a beautiful, smart and "light up the whole room" with her smile, daughter(s) you have. the world needs more Madi's in them, not obnoxious/rude people like that!

Anonymous said...

ps. that picture of Taylor with the sword and necklace light thingy is AWESOME!!! :D

lovemy3 said...

It broke my heart when I read how the woman responded to Madi. The world has too many women like her in it. I'm so sorry that it put a damper on your evening. Poor Madi...still not feeling great. I'm positive that woman doesn't look put together when she doesn't feel good. I hope someone looks at her the same way the next time she is sick. Madi is a beautiful little girl with a sparkling smile.

I understand what you are feeling though...I wonder too when people react or stare at Hailey. I think most of them are just grossly uneducated. I know the feelings of the first birthday approaching. I have them too!

Hope today is better and keep enjoying the holidays with your precious girls!

April Vernon said...

I have been suck a bloggy slacker lately. So sorry for not visiting here more often. And SOOOO sorry about the lady that ruined your evening. Moments like that will come and go, and I think we don't realize how strong they make us until months later.

That lady doesn't even know that you have people from all over the country (ok, actually WORLD, I see, now that I look at your traffic feed) coming to see photos of your beautiful girl! You have a lot more people in love with Madi than people like that woman. Chin up, my friend!

I totally want boots like Taylor! So cool!

Lisa said...

Karrie I feel for you and I understand the actions and behaviors of others can be so tough. What I love though is how awesome and cute your little lady is. I look at your blog at work and I always show my fellow co-workers. I love how Madi is progressing so well and how strong you are in protecting her. That is your role as a mom. Try not to let those who don't understand ruin your day. Shame on those who do understand as well!

teal915 said...

I know exactly how you feel. I hate it too. But I just remind myself of all the amazing people who love Kamdyn. Sorry you had that experience.

Melissa said...

Crazy cold weather lately, huh? I was really excited to take Claire to her first holiday parade, but it's held at night and it was FREEZING. I don't even think it was 10, so we skipped it.

Sorry for the crappy reaction from the random lady. I hate reactions like this too, but try to remember they don't know our kids, and really, they are the ones missing. out.