Wednesday, September 26, 2012

T/A and Supraglottoplasty Surgery

Tomorrow is a big day for Madi.  She is having surgery to have her tonsils and adenoids removed and to have a supraglottoplasty.

Madi's cheese ball smile she likes to give these days!



Back in March when she had a triple scope done, the ENT thought it would be best to have the procedures done to help open up the airways.  We are hoping that her sleep apnea will improve.....maybe she will even get off the oxygen!!

We are hoping the constant congestion that she has will improve.  I think we have had only a handful of months since she was born where her nose wasn't running and she can actually breathe out of her nose.  If she can breathe out of nose, then maybe her mouth closure will improve and her tongue will be more retracted.

We are also hoping that she won't be as sick as she was last winter.




I'm not as nervous about the actual procedure as I am about the recovery.  I know that the doctors perform these procedures each and every day and that it is not too big of a deal.  The recovery is another story.

When Taylor had her tonsils removed, she ate popsicles and ice cream for a week and then she was back to normal.  Madi........not so much.  First, she can't have popsicles nor ice cream due to the aspiration.  So what is she supposed to have?!?!

They won't allow her to drink out of the straw cup during the recovery......well, that's the only thong she CAN drink out of.  She will take the bottle but I don't think they want you to do that either.  We are going to attempt a sippy cup with the valve taken out, but that might be a little interesting.

She doesn't like water.  Actually, let me rephrase that, she doesn't like water that has been thickened with Simply Thick.  Which I don't blame her......it's disgusting!  She doesn't like juice.......I have been trying for the last month to get her to drink it in preparation for the surgery.  Milk, milk, milk is her drink of choice!  I am hoping we can coax her to drink a shake of some sort but we shall see.

So, again.......I am a little nervous about the recovery.

In reality, though, what we are about to endure is nothing compared to what Madi's little friend Lily is going through.  She was just recently diagnosed with leukemia and started her first chemo treatment
today.  Madi and Lily are only 3 weeks apart in age.

Sweet Lily!  

Madi and Lily last year at Taylor's birthday party


Please send us prayers that Madi's surgery and recovery goes smooth.  And please send some extra prayers to Lily and her parents, as they are embarking on a journey that none of us want to go on.


6 comments:

lovemy3 said...

Prayers for Madi and Lily. Madi is looking so grown-up! And her hair is gorgeous (we get jealous over long hair :-)

Aimee said...

Hi, Karrie! I don't know that I've ever posted on your blog, but I met your hubby and Madi at the Dads and Donuts back in June. ...been blog stocking you for a while prior to that, but I won't admit it... ;)

Is Madi's surgery at Children's? My daughter, Piper, is inpatient right now and we'll be here a few days. If you have some down time and want some company, let me know! :) I'd love to meet ya!

Piper had her tonsils out about six weeks ago- they didn't let her have a straw in recovery, but after that, they were good with it. If a nurse tells you "no," ask the doctors- they admitted that there was a lot of bad information out there surrounding straws and T&As. However, with that said, we went home on jello and popsicles. I'm sure you'll figure soemthin' out! :)

Aimee G

(PS- I have a blog if you need proof that I'm not a weirdo, lol...)

teal915 said...

I hope she has a smoothe recovery. I bet you will. It ice a huge difference once she is all healed up and better. Poor Lily. Cancer is horrible. I'll pray for Madi and Lily tonight.

teal915 said...

I hope she has a smoothe recovery. I bet you will. It ice a huge difference once she is all healed up and better. Poor Lily. Cancer is horrible. I'll pray for Madi and Lily tonight.

Laura said...

It's 8:30 Thursday morning here in the midwest. I'm thinking you guys are already up getting ready for the biq day. We'll be thinking of Madi all day. Try to give us an update if you can! And we will be sending lots of extra prayers to Lily!

Anna Theurer said...

Prayers fir Madi and for Lily